We all have family favorite recipes. I shared one a few weeks ago and I am sharing another one with you, my wonderful community of moms!
I have been known for my famous Stuffed Mushrooms since I was in high school – and that is a long time! I can recall making this recipe in my Home Economics class for the first time and was so proud to make it for my parents for the first time, which…ahem…was about 28 years ago! My dad still talks about these mushrooms to this day – so, yes, they are that famous!
We will be making these for our Christmas Eve dinner and I thought it was the perfect time to share this recipe. I have altered the recipe a bit to make it Gluten Free and it is still just as good!
Even if you have family members who do not like mushrooms, try this one on for size. My six year old who won’t eat mushrooms in anything else will eat these!
I love and recommend using only Young Living Essential Oils in recipes – this one is perfect to try them in!
- 20 extra large White Mushrooms
- 5 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3/4 pound sweet italian sausage
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 2/3 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 T parsley
- 1 drop Taste of Italy Essential Oil (or 1 drop Oregano or Basil)
- 3 T melted butter
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely. Set aside. Place the mushroom caps in a shallow bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and red wine. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, crumbling it. Cook the sausage for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until it's completely browned. Add the chopped mushroom stems and cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in the chopped onions and garlic and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the gluten free bread crumbs, stirring to combine evenly with all the other ingredients. Remove from the heat, stir in the Parmesan, parsley, and drop of Taste of Italy Essential Oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste, Cool slightly.
- Fill each mushroom generously with the sausage mixture. Arrange the mushrooms in a baking dish large enough to hold all the mushrooms in a snug single layer. Drizzle the melted butter over the tops of the mushrooms. Bake until the stuffing for 50 minutes, until the stuffing is browned and crusty.